Home > General News > Government imposes curfew on Bawku following renewed violence

Government imposes curfew on Bawku following renewed violence

bawkuThe Ministry of the Interior has imposed a curfew on the Bawku Municipality and its environs effective 1400 hours on Monday, November 2 to 1800 hours on Tuesday, November 3. A statement issued by Mrs Zita Okaikoi, Minister of Information, said this is in view of the renewed violence that erupted in Bawku on Sunday night through to Monday morning.

The statement explained that the imposition of the curfew was in consultation with and on the recommendation of the Upper East Regional Security Council (REGSEC). “The curfew is meant to protect life and property in the area and also enable the security agencies to deploy more troops on the ground to enhance security operations in the Bawku township,” it said.

The statement said the curfew period would be subject to review based on the situation in the area when it expired on Tuesday. Sporadic shooting has been going on in Bawku since Sunday night after unidentified men shot at mourners in a funeral house and injured two people.

Speaking in an interview with the Ghana News Agency on Monday, Mr Musah Abdulai, Bawku Municipal Chief Executive, called on all stakeholders to get together and find a holistic solution to the ongoing conflict since spontaneous control of violent acts as they occurred had proved unsuccessful.

He said all the stakeholders must come out with a final declaration on the conflict, which all must accept no matter how bitter it might be for some people. “We have to hold the bull by the horns and solve the problem,” he added.

A similar incident of shooting occurred last Friday when unidentified men went after Mr Fuseni Imoro, alias Gazare, a cattle dealer, and shot at him as he rode a motor bicycle from the market area towards the Bawku Technical Institute.

Mr Imoro escaped unhurt but the shooting attracted sporadic shooting in the area and disrupted market activities. The situation was brought under control by security personnel but not before a policeman got shot in the leg. The MCE described both the Friday and Monday incidents as senseless and said their immediate causes could not be identified.

Source: GBC NEWS

  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: